Out of all the different substances that people take for recreative purposes, magic mushrooms seem to be one of those organic variants that appear to do no harm. However, such a component is also known to cause a couple of disadvantages to the body. The thing is, it may last in your system for a certain period of time, and if you’re not careful, it may even last longer than that.
That said, we have written a couple of helpful information below that may help you determine its lifespan, effects, and the known duration of those effects.
How Long Do Magic Mushrooms Stay in Your System?
The most common and widely accepted answer to the question of how long do magic mushrooms stay in your system would last for about 24 hours. However, it all depends on how much of it you took.
Even if it is just a single dose, the effects will last for more than four hours if you take an average amount. For a single dose, it usually lasts for up to 8 hours.
Mostly, it depends on the amount taken, though a study has shown that your urine usually clears up after 48 hours. Even if you took the drug 72 hours ago, it would not show up on the screen. However, it may still turn up in the results if you take a heavy dose, but this is only after a day.
For the most part, it shows up in the blood for about 2 to 4 hours, depending on the amount of dose taken. However, the drug may stay in your blood for up to 72 hours if you take a higher dose.
It may stay in your saliva for about 48 hours. However, it is also possible for a residual amount of the drug to remain for up to 5 days. Again, this is by taking a higher dose than the usual one.
- Hair Follicle
The drug may stay in your hair for up to 90 days. However, it is possible to see the drug showing up in the sample in as little as three days since taking the dose.
What Are the Effects of Magic Shrooms?
Magic mushrooms are often categorized into two types, namely confusion and illusion. Confusion usually lasts for about 2 hours, whereas the illusion effects may last for 6 hours. In addition, the ill effects may be more common when you take a heavy dose. As a result, it is crucial to take the right amount.
- Mood Swings: You may become high and happy or irritated and depressed. It all depends on the amount taken and the type of mushroom used.
- Hallucinations: From seeing bright and colorful images to shocking hallucinations, you will experience it either way. This may be one of the various reasons why people get addicted to it.
- Delusions: You may feel like someone is taking control of your mind. You may also feel like you will never get out of that state.
- Panic Attacks: If you ever had a panic attack in the past, you may know what it feels like. Such attacks are usually triggered by the feeling of losing control over your mind and body.
- Vomiting: You may feel like vomiting when you come down from the high, or you may feel anxiety which may cause you to throw up.
- Anxiety: You may suffer from an intense level of stress. This is usually felt during the powerful hallucinations that come with the drug.
- Urge to Hurt Yourself: You may also feel like hurting yourself after coming down from the high. This can be dangerous if you’re currently using other heavy drugs as well.
What Are the Common Side-Effects of Magic Shrooms?
Just like any other drug, these organic items may also have some side effects after taking them. Some of the most common side-effects include:
- Increased heart rate
- Increased body temperature
- Numbness and tingling of the mouth
- Muscle weakness
- Dizziness and nausea
Can Magic Mushrooms Cause Death?
Fortunately, the number of deaths reported due to the use of this component is rare. However, it is still possible that you may experience some side effects if you abuse it. As mentioned above, this includes vomiting and nausea, confusion and disorientation, panic attacks, and mood swings. If you suffer from an underlying condition, such as heart failure, the drug may affect you more than those who don’t.
How Potent Are the Doses?
Magic mushrooms come in a variety of doses. The most common is a quarter of an ounce. However, you may also find them in other sizes. As mentioned earlier, the more you take, the more powerful the drug’s effect, which is why it is never a good idea to become a regular user of it.
Detoxing and Withdrawals
If you want to get rid of the drug from your system, the best way to do that is to detox. It will cleanse your body and rid it of all toxins and residue. However, you should also make sure that you stay off it. If you retake the drug, it will only prolong the time for your body to cleanse itself. Typically, effects of shrooms tend to wear off within 24 hours. Some withdrawal symptoms you may experience include:
- Physical and Mental Exhaustion
Though you have a low risk of developing a physical addiction to psilocybin, you can still develop a psychological dependence to shrooms. If you feel you have developed a psychological dependence and would like to stop, it is important to seek professional help from a certified addiction treatment center.
Magic mushrooms are one of the most popular psychedelics out there. However, as with any other substance, it is not a good idea to use it all the time. In fact, if you do so, your health will be put at greater risk. On the other hand, if you follow all the tips above and stay away from the substance all the time, you can keep a healthy body and manage to do more productive things in life.